Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Gecko Named Wilma.

Not really. I did think it might be a good idea to check in and let you all know that I am safe and fine, despite the cyclone that has descended on the island. My house lost power this morning, but so far it has not posed that much of an issue. In true Samoan fashion, we gathered some belongings, called a cab, and headed to.... McDonalds. McDonalds, haven that it is, has its own house sized generator. It never loses power, and most importantly, it has both internet and a big screen TV. All of the housemates and I are now firmly esconced here... along with about 25 assorted palangis and Samoans all intent on both Chicken McNuggets and the NFL.

In other news, before I return to rooting for the Jets (sorry, but Palumalu is not enough incentive to cheer for Roethlesberger (sp?)) I feel I have to share one of those moments which inevitably ends up on a tacky calendar, with the theme of "You know you are in Samoa when...."
Thursday morning I woke up as normal... maybe a little groggier due to the constant rain and lack of usual sunshine pouring through my window. I stumbled to my kitchen, pulled down my granola and looked in the bag... to find a GECKO. Staring back at me. Far be it from me to stop anything or anyone in Samoa trying to be healthy... plus geckos are cool with me. They eat termites. So, despite my overwhelming feelings of, "this is my LIFE. MY LIFE." I simply tipped the bag over, counted the granola as a casualty of the war on bugs, and went to school as normal.

Love (and lots of wind and rain)
Rosa

No comments:

Post a Comment