Sunday, July 18, 2010



I am already losing track of time because of the sheer amount of activity that happens each day. It definitely doesn't feel like we've all only been here 3 days, or KNOWN each other for that short of time. I guess its just the situation (think summer camp x1000) that has forced us all to get to know each other pretty well in a very short time. It doesn't hurt that we have all been with each other 24/7 either.
Yesterday was a pretty relaxed day. We were out the door at 9:30 to go on a bus tour of the island which took until about 3:00- although we did stop at a couple places. We drove up to one of the mountain villages, where we stopped to get some very cool photos (some of which will be posted below) and all the way on the east end of the island we ate lunch, ate (although really it was drank) our first coconuts of the trip, and saw a local weaving baskets from the coconut palm leaves. After we got back, a bunch of us hiked out to "Airport Beach" which is aptly named because you follow the line of the fence around the airport to get to it. The beach itself was beautiful; it was a coral beach, that dropped off to about an 8 foot depth with coral reefs growing all over. I had brought my snorkel mask, so I spent most of my time diving down to get closer looks at things. There were both so many and so many kinds of fish! I saw a three foot long needle fish, zebra fish, angel fish and a ton of tiny electric blue fish... there were more but to describe all of them would sap what little energy I have left right now. Anyway, as I said, the beach itself was beautiful... but unfortunately, the walk there was horrifying. Before coming, I had read a few pieces both online and in the travel books which commented on the litter problem that American Samoa is facing, for whatever reason, but seeing it in person blew my mind. We walked through literally a mile of trash before getting to the beach... thousands of ramen cups, flipflops, styrofoam anything, tubs, bins, toys, wrappers, even a few used syringes (we steered VERY clear of those). It was gross enough that even though the beach is beautiful, everyone that went agreed that they probably wouldn't go back. More than that, everyone was just stunned at how such a situation is accepted and continued. Maybe it is because we come from another landscape, but all the volunteers, including myself, have been in a constant state of awe because of the beauty of this place. To see such carelessness, more than anything, makes me deeply sad.
On a happier note, most of the volunteers decided to check out the local night life last night- the recommendation from a trusted local, Rex, was "Rubbles." We all bought Vailima from a local store before we went out, to save some money, and got to the "club" before nine to avoid the cover charge. Rubbles was FANTASTIC, although I think it was partly because I had already decided before we went that I was going to relax and let go, and make sure to dance my a** off. Well, mission accomplished. By the end of the night, I had danced with three fifty year old Samoan men, one of whom apparently did a warrior dance, two of the fafafine (translated as third gender... basically drag queens) a ton of Samoan women, and every member of our group who went. I was definitely the favorite palagi (white person) of the night... enough dancing that the bartender (Faith, whose sister will apparently be attending my high school) gave me a free bottle of fiji water to cool down. I should note though, that dancing in Samoan is not like at home; there is no physical contact AT ALL between those dancing, so Mom, don't worry. Especially with the older men, it was mostly a selection of rockin' seventies dance moves.
Today was more of an informational day, although I participated in an excellent game of badminton (in which Brenden, another volunteer, somehow managed to dislocate his shoulder) and Bananagrams (with one special phonetic round in honor of you Saul) in the morning. Our first World Teach Training programs started at one and went till 5:30. All I am going to say about them is that I guess they could have been worse, although they were definitely dry.
Dinner was another small adventure. A bunch of us originally set out to go to the "Green Burrito" chain, because we had been told that pretty much all restaurants but chains would be closed on Sundays, but by chance happened upon a Chinese restaurant along the way which was open. It turned out to be DELICIOUS, cheap and served Samoan sized portions, unbeknown to us.... We must have taken at least six boxes of leftovers home between the nine of us.
anyway, I need to get to sleep, as classes start at eight in the morning tomorrow. Picture time!
All of these are from the island tour:







1 comment:

  1. I have your blog bookmarked! Do you have a mailing address yet?

    ReplyDelete